Here in Michigan, we have always lived with unpredictable weather, and the weather can change at any time during the week. From as early as March to as late as October, Michigan has its fair share of severe thunderstorms that pose the risk for a sudden power outage.
Whether there is heavy rainfall or a long duration of strong winds, our power sources can be lost at the most random times. Lakepointe Electric has over 20 years of experience in this industry, and we know how risky the storms can be here in the mitten state.
Plus, should the power go out, it is never guaranteed when the power can be turned back on. Crews have to spend countless hours in many different areas to remedy outages, and you may have to wait several hours — if not days — before the power is restored.
That is why Lakepointe specializes in commercial and residential standby generators equipped with plenty of power to fuel your home or business during a power outage. So, let’s show you some of the reasons why the storm season in Michigan can be so risky for our homes and businesses.
The Need to Prepare Before a Storm
We spend a lot of time and energy preparing our homes and businesses once we foresee a severe storm is on the way. Without a standby generator, we have to consider a lot of different things just in case we need to be without power for a while. If you do end up with an outage, there are some basic things you can do to be ahead of the situation.
- Power up your cell phone immediately. The closer you have to a full battery, the better. Try not to use your cell phone that much either. Also, turn your screen brightness down, exit any unused apps, and adjust your settings to your phone’s battery saver settings.
- Back up your computer files if you are working from home if you haven’t already done so. This could mean using an external drive or utilizing your internal computer storage to keep everything saved. You should also consider using surge protectors in the areas of your home that utilize a lot of power all at once.
- Be sure to have a supply kit of emergency items such as a flashlight, extra batteries, candles, lighters, a case of water, and a first aid kit.
- In order to keep your refrigerated items as long as possible, keep the door closed and don’t open it. The more it is opened — even just for a second, the warmer it will get inside. If you can keep it closed, frozen food can last up to two days, and refrigerated food can last up to eight hours. You can also head to the nearest store and buy bags of ice to help keep your produce cool for a little while longer.
- Keep your doors and windows closed as much as possible to avoid letting your air or heat from escaping. Keep curtains and blinds closed so the sun doesn’t add extra heat to the room.
- Contact your electric company, such as DTE, to find out if there is an estimated time the power may be restored. DTE has a mobile app you can download to monitor their outage maps and other alerts associated with lost power.
Consider Getting a Home Standby Generator
As with most things, an act of prevention now can go a long way later. With such unpredictability in the Michigan weather system, this kind of investment will serve you across all kinds of electrical outages. A sure way to not be affected by a power outage is to make sure you have a home generator backup power system.
Ultimately, in case of an outage, your generator system will react and turn on automatically without a delay. This means that your food in your refrigerator, the heat or air conditioning units, and the normal devices and appliances all maintain their function. Plus, you will not have to worry about preserving your cell phone battery like during a power outage, either!
Lakepointe Electric: Commercial & Residential Electricians Near Shelby Township, MI
With over 20 years of experience, Lakepointe Electric is one of the best local electrician companies because we are trained to provide the best lighting expertise in the area. From installing recessed lighting to generator system repairs, you can trust us to equip your home with the best lighting solutions.
Here at Lakepointe Electric, we are currently financing our new home generators for as low as $99/month! If you have recently contemplated owning a generator, now is the time to buy before the risky thunderstorm season starts. We feature brands such as Generac Generators and Briggs and Stratton Generator models.
For more information about all kinds of electric repair services, like outdoor lighting, commercial and residential generators, electrical safety tips, and other handyman services call Lakepointe Electric at (586) 204-8121, or reach out to us through the contact form on our website to find a electrician.
Terms and conditions apply with approved credit on all our generators.